Thursday, June 07, 2007

Being A Photographer

To stop time in a photograph is a beautiful thing, unlike the moving image of a video or film I learn each time I train my camera on an actor, model, dancer, or flower that I am freezing time. It's when you look at an old photo of yourself a in the future and realize that the moment will never happen again. It is often said that a picture is worth a thousand words. That is true. My roommate is able to write seemingly endless words based on a simple family photo, but I think he might not able to recreate that moment in time because there were things that happened before and after the photo was taken. I've seen some of his old, fading family photos, and when we've talked about them, I see a look of nostalgia in his eyes. It's this look that tells the story of his family and those moments that were not discussed. It's a lifetime story.

The work of making someone look good in a photograph or shooting a beautiful flower that may not be there tomorrow remains in the mind of the photographer.

How I wish photography was invented hundreds of years ago. What if the Atlantians had discovered that technology? Perhaps we'd be able to see images from the real Atlantians and Egyptians. If the technology existed back then, the images might have been in the microprocessors 9000 years ago.

As a photographer, I need to look closely at details right under my nose, and those just out reach that only my macro lenses can bring into focus. I will implement this discerning eye in my future filmmaking and creative writing. It's an adventure. There are other worlds to discover in the images of the frames.

No comments: